• Join us on Discord! To get all the info you may need click here!

[BFV] Map Rotation Order (removed maps)

Do you approve of the removals?

• Yes!

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • No.

Votes: 21 84.0%

• Total voters

IceSkater

HelloClan Leader
Please note the new Rotation Order for our maps:

Code:
Operation Hastings

Operation Flaming Dart

Hue 1968

Operation Game Warden

Siege Of Khe Sahn

Operation Irving

Defense Of Con Thien

Fall Of Lang Vei

Reclaming Hue

Quang Tri 1972

Quang Tri 1968

Saigon 1968

Removed maps:

Code:
Ho Chi Minh Trail

Landing Zone Albany

Cambodian Incursion

Fall Of Saigon

Operation Cedar Falls

La Drang Valley

We have removed some maps from our rotation as a trial, if there is a noticeable difference we shall keep it up. Otherwise we shall return it to it's original state.

There is possibly going to be two or three more removals, but let's start with what we have and take it from there.

Please vote on whether you approve of this, or if you'd see other maps removed comment the name and we will do a poll when enough interest is generated.

Dear Admin,

I vote: To bring back all original maps.

I was just playing on the server and I realized that many of the original maps are removed. This is extremely disappointing for me. The best thing I liked about this server is that all original maps were present.

Although I prefer air maps mostly, I occasionally enjoyed land maps too.

Ho Chi Minh Trail for it's jungle warfare, especially the artillery support or how to defeat it. Its always been a short map with one side winning over the other quickly.

Landing Zone Albany I enjoyed playing on because of the importance of artillery and mortar support.

Cambodian Incursion again for it's jungle warfare, and artillery support, and close combat.

Fall Of Saigon because of it's jungle setup. I enjoyed flying and bombing with AC-47 on Blue team or operating the guided missile vehicle on the Red team.

Operation Cedar Falls is an all-rounder map with airplanes, helis, underground tunnel warfare, tank warfare, and a huge map on it's own.

La Drang Valley has always been fun. As a Blue team player I enjoyed air superiority over the Red team, but as a Red team player, I enjoyed using air defenses using ZSU, SA-7, and even machine guns and artillery cannons. I also enjoyed walking all the way to Blue main and planting tunnel to prevent their air superiority.

In my opinion, what was needed was the order the maps in such a way that all air maps play one after the other, and then the remaining land maps. This would allow all air map lovers to play all the maps in sequence, and then leave if they want to, when land maps begin.

Please restore all original maps, as has been for so many years. The only change that is needed is the order of rotation. Thank you!

IceSkater

HelloClan Leader
You just can't please everyone.

This forum could be a great source for sociological studies with the subject: "Why is our society disfunctional and needs urgent redesigning".
All I'm interested in is the majority.

I've tried too long to keep everyone happy, so vote. Everyone vote. Tell me if you want it to stay like this or not.

:)

Ice pls dont remove any map I beg u let the players Who like these maps enjoy our little fun, SK already tweaked the tickets so maps would end quickly, usually they dont last more than 5 mins, what else do you want!?
Fall of: only map in which u can use rocket Launcher car, so much fun!
Cambodian & Ho Chi: temple fights, ambushed, only Maps with xm148.
Cedar Falls: really u dont like tunnel war??? U m79 noobs are going to get dozens of kills over those narrow tunnels, u cannot support this removal.
LZA: only map with no heavy armor, ground players can deploy all of our potential. U pilots already have hastings, game warden & Flaming Dart!! Let us have our ground fights with no amror!!! Srsly i'll go play PUBG

W.A.S.P.

Forum Newbie
Hi everyones
i have ideas of order

1. air/not air one per one, skip one map is more simple then waiting several maps each for hours potentially
2. popularity: air maps in descending order, ground maps in ascending order

if we have (example)

1a
2a
4a

then we get

1a
2a
4a

maps from end of popularity list are not bad enough for leaving and not wait most popular air maps

for simplicity we not count cedar falls and fall of saigon air maps though they are

Last edited:
I voted yes for the sake of a trial change or at least exploring options. Ice, I commend you for trying this. There has been a ton of requests for this in the past and for me its not a deal breaker but for some they have been looking for a change for decades.

For those who vote against the change, lets cut ICE some slack and be patient. Many have wanted a changed order or dropped maps for years. We can at least try it and measure it and see how it goes for everyone in mind. If its that bad and it doesn't work I'm sure ICE will work it out.

Don't beat up the guy who is trying to listen to the voice of the forum ! This is what you wanted , are you not entertained ?

I do like seeing Ho Chi and Cambodian gone. I like them, but so many players would bail on this one and empty the server when these maps came up.

Fall of Saigon would drain the pool also...

Lets see what happens...

IceSkater

HelloClan Leader
I voted yes for the sake of a trial change or at least exploring options. Ice, I commend you for trying this. There has been a ton of requests for this in the past and for me its not a deal breaker but for some they have been looking for a change for decades.

For those who vote against the change, lets cut ICE some slack and be patient. Many have wanted a changed order or dropped maps for years. We can at least try it and measure it and see how it goes for everyone in mind. If its that bad and it doesn't work I'm sure ICE will work it out.

Don't beat up the guy who is trying to listen to the voice of the forum ! This is what you wanted , are you not entertained ?

I do like seeing Ho Chi and Cambodian gone. I like them, but so many players would bail on this one and empty the server when these maps came up.

Fall of Saigon would drain the pool also...

Lets see what happens...

Thank you for the words Orange. :) I appreciate it.

To re-iterate what Mr. Orange has said, I am a man of my word and this is a trial month for this change. There is no guarantee it will stay, there is no guarantee it will go. This is why it's a trial to see what is more popular. All of you have seen how much I was, and am still, against the removal of maps. I've done this trial for two reasons.

1. It has been burned into the pages of this forum that many players don't like certain maps and have campaigned many a time to have the maps removed. In spite of return arguments from myself that not everyone hates the same maps they do and as a result it was not justifiable to remove the maps in question just to make a small group happy, it was a topic that was never left alone. It was repeatedly brought up and no matter what was discussed in the forum, no one was happy.

2. Not to blow my own horn, but I should know what works and what doesn't by now. I know not everyone enjoys every map, I know everyone won't see eye to eye when it comes to maps entirely! Most of all, I know that the removal of maps is a bad idea just because it's to mainly appeal to those that originally campaigned for this instead of addressing the entirety of the server populace.

I can make polls, topics and announcements about involving the players in changes to map rotations till I'm blue in the face. In the end, it won't involve them either because they choose to ignore the idea or they just can't be bothered. I understand this and don't hold it against them.

Thus the only way was to "shock" the waters. Allowing the proof to be visible in the pudding. I'm showing those that want the maps removed what will happen when the players that enjoyed those maps suddenly find they're not in rotation anymore and at the same time I'm unfortunately forcing players to voice their opinion here.

In the hopes that this trial will shine the light on what I've been against all this time, I took a leap of faith and just did it. :) A rather unorthodox method and one I don't like using, but sometimes the actions will drive a point home harder than words.

The votes thus far are further proving me right. Although, we are still early in on the trial month. Let's see what transpires.

I have seen the ideas posted for map rotation, and will see to them once this trial is over with a decision made.

SO BASICALLY WHAT WE CAN SEE IS THAT PEOPLE WANT TO HAVE MORE FLIGHT TIME.
SO MORE FLAIGHT MAPS OR FLIGHTS IN ALL MAPS. (Sorry just found capslock was on) So all the comments add up to planes for everyuonme. like a football game with a ball for all players. Sounds very funny and exiting (NOT)Icew has the hard task to satisfy all and we all have our favorites. I wont hasve any on time to be able to go through a full maprotation so I cannot comment on how it works.
My comments to thjer removed maps:

Ho Chi Minh Trail : Gonna miss that map.

Landing Zone Albany : not going to miss unless 20 players

Cambodian Incursion : Gonna miss that map.

Fall Of Saigon : not going to miss unless 20 players

Operation Cedar Falls : mixed feelings

La Drang Valley : not going to miss unless 20 players
hlmencken1.jpg

Vmax

Battlefield Vietnam & RS2:V Admin
Well Snake the voting so far is clearly in favor of restoring all of the maps and keeping our status as an all maps server.
The only wriggle room will be with the map order:

1- Air maps at the top and ground at the bottom
2- Ground maps at the top and air maps at the bottom
3- Alternating air and ground maps

Some may have noticed I have been trialing letting admins swap to a different map when a clear majority want it and as far as I know I haven't upset anyone.

Killzone

Battlefield Vietnam & RS2:V Admin
Everyone enjoys flying around spinning out flags but the ground maps are enjoyable also.
With admin able to change maps we can skip the least popular when the server has less than a fully staffed army .
I am all for the majority
Killzone

W.A.S.P.

Forum Newbie
Want remind the less variety mean faster even best map becoming boring. We going to sick to death of these maps (Hastings, Dart etc). They are very good but not very if nothing else. What about make Saigon 68 first? Someone had complaining that miss half of Hastings every joining. Air maps fans can tolerate one ground map if they sure next one is air map and disconnect for hours and days when seqence of ground maps begins.

Leaving for a while question of removed maps maybe try alternating?

Operation Hastings

Operation Flaming Dart

Hue 1968

Operation Game Warden

Siege Of Khe Sahn

Reclaming Hue

Operation Irving

Defense Of Con Thien

Quang Tri 1972

Fall Of Lang Vei

Saigon 1968

Quang Tri 1968

Same order of air maps and uniform distribution of ground maps. Every one of which can be skipped simply with agree of players and getting all flags by one team.

Last edited:
A few years ago, the idea of removing any map was completely dismissed, not even worthy of consideration. The Hello Server was a bastion for Battlefield Vietnam purists who wanted to play against quality competition on a variety of maps without ridiculous modifications. It appeared this was a foundational belief of Hello Server.

This no longer seems the case.

There have been times that admins changed the maps to sustain player satisfaction and keep players from leaving. For that, their administrator privileges were stripped from them.

This also no longer seems to be Hello Server policy.

Maybe change is warranted and necessary. Heck, when I was an admin, we changed the rules to prohibit main rape, and that took some time for players to adjust, and some players left never to return, however, I do recall that there was concerted effort to avoid drastic changes to maintain the integrity of the server's original values. Personally, I doubt the removal of maps will make a great difference. The flyboys will leave when a ground map comes along regardless of how many players are left. Before long, you'll find yourself looking at the remaining maps and deciding which ones you want to get rid of.

Years ago, I advocated adding bots just to supplement player numbers and give players something to kill until Doen joined (Dear Lord, all of them really can soak up the bullets).

IceSkater

HelloClan Leader
The paradox of all of this is that no matter how I have, we have, ordered the map rotation, there has always been complaints.

I let one of my Admins choose a map rotation himself in case I had bias somehow against some other maps, even that seemed an issue. Not everyone complains publicly on the forum.

I will give this trial another week or so at least. To ensure that my point has been driven home.

The only problem with bots is that they'd need to be turned on and off with a map selection and the server would need to be restarted...it's a bit of a faff and won't really help keep players on if they get kicked...

I'm playing around with another idea in the meantime whilst this pans out, but do keep the suggestions coming in. I appreciate and hear them all out.

Hello all.
Sorry, but vietnam without jungle maps is not vietnam... Like a said today on server...i wish all maps back. All maps is good to all tastes Please do not remove maps... Stay all maps .. For years we have all maps...i do not see reason to remove it...

thank you.
see you

OCoveiro