• Join us on Discord! To get all the info you may need click here!

A list of issues

First of all hi, I'm Boriska but also known as Grove4life, I'm just new to this game and the most relevant thing to say is that I came from Battlefield 1942.

I got a number of things I can't solve because I'm not such an expert at this:
1. If I run BFV normally the game will crash after ~10m and the sound sometimes stutters and goes out.
If I run it in compatibility mode for Windows XP (service pack 3) the game runs normal except hitmarkers are removed from the game.
If I run it in compatibility for Windows 98 the option for 1920x1080 @144fps option is gone along with any higher resolution BUT I get radio calls when an position is under attack, if friendly team captured a position and general background sounds like music coming from speaker poles and such - I didn't know this was in the game and now that I know I want the game to be complete.

2. I have downloaded WWII mod from Mod DB but I get this error when trying to install it: Setup couldn't find an Battlefield Vietnam installation. Battlefield vietnam: 1942 Mod cannot be installed without Battlefield Vietnam. Please install the full game first.

I know it's a lot to ask for someone to help me trough with this but I need it, help would be much appreciated.

IceSkater

HelloClan Leader
Hey Grove,

I was giving some thought to the WW2 Mod issue.

You can try and see if BFV is properly listed in your windows registry in case it's not and that could be the problem.

You will need to open your registry editor. Click on start and in the search bar type in "regedit.exe" or click on run and type in the same , once opened, follow this directory:

Computer\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
SOFTWARE\
Electronic Arts\
EA Games\
Battlefield Vietnam\
Ergc

The above represents an in-tact registry entry for BFV on a system that runs 32bit windows.

It will look like this if you are running a 64bit windows:

Computer\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
SOFTWARE\
WOW6432Node\
Electronic Arts\
EA Games\
Battlefield Vietnam\
Ergc

Let me know what you find. :)

At the moment I unfortunately still can't advise as to how to fix that crashing error...

^ I'm running 64 bit Windows 10, there is no Battlefield Vietnam in folder EA games in the registry editor unlike Battlefield 1942 and some other EA games, that must be the problem then!
And about the crashing/hitmarker/sound/backgroundsounds/myweirdpc issues, I totally understand why it's so difficult to get what's going on, it's always me with the weird issues no one else seem to have.

Rambo_FD

RS2:V Leader
After followd the steps mentioned in the download section I strongly recommend you try the steps mentioned in the "audio fix" (see link in my signature).
This will force the game to run in compatibility mode for NT4.0 SP5 what should solve most of your issues.

Additionaly from where did you install BFV? Was it a iso or a regular cd ?

After followd the steps mentioned in the download section I strongly recommend you try the steps mentioned in the "audio fix" (see link in my signature).
This will force the game to run in compatibility mode for NT4.0 SP5 what should solve most of your issues.

Additionaly from where did you install BFV? Was it a iso or a regular cd ?
I downloaded BFV from some site I don't remember it was just an install&play I belive, I downloaded some mod to run it in 1920x1080 @ 144fps.

And the sound fix fixed the sounds and hitmarkers as long as I don't run the game in compatibility mode! I just hope the game doens't start crashing again.

Rambo_FD

Usually you should start with a clean 1.21 installation and then apply the no-cd patch (includes windows 10 and widescreen fix). You can download the patch here

After that install the audio fix from here. The audio fix will do nothing more than force your bfv.exe to run in Windows NT4 SP5 compatibility mode by setting parameters in the systems registry. So after that you should no longer use a different compatibility mode. Just start your game and it should work.

If you want a shortcut to join our server directly have a look at here.

Last edited:
Usually you should start with a clean 1.21 installation and then apply the no-cd patch (includes windows 10 and widescreen fix). You can download the patch here

After that install the audio fix from here. The audio fix will do nothing more than force your bfv.exe to run in Windows NT4 SP5 compatibility mode by setting parameters in the systems registry. So after that you should no longer use a different compatibility mode. Just start your game and it should work.

If you want a shortcut to join our server directly have a look at here.
Oh, that's exactly what I have! Now I remember I installed the no-cd patch after installing the game, I just did nothing with the game for a long time after doing that so I wasn't sure anymore.
As I've also installed the audio fix now my game should be good to go and it works well as far as I know, so thank you <3

All what remains it that the game isn't in the registry for some reason so I can't install the WWII mod. I'd have no idea how to add it or something ^^

Rambo_FD

Did you already register your personal key? If you didn't use the official setup you have to do it manually.

I did it like this: Go to the installation folder, then you`ll see a folder named "eReg", and right click on "Battlefield Vietnam_code.exe" and run it as administrator.
Enter the cd-key and you`re good to go. After that you should have an entry inside the registry.

IceSkater

HelloClan Leader
Hi Grove,

Sorry I've not been watching this thread.

Since that registry doesn't exist, you can create it manually. I will send a guide later as I'm not on my PC....and typing on a phone doesn't make it easy...

IceSkater

HelloClan Leader
Open registry editor again and please follow these steps, we will try the easy(ish) way first:

Navigate to this directory:

Computer\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
SOFTWARE\
EA Games\
Battlefield Vietnam

If this above directory does not exist from EA Games to Battlefield Vietnam, which it shouldn't, then create it. If you have other EA Games installed, skip creating that folder and head straight to creating the Battlefield Vietnam folder. So a step by step would be:

If there is no EA Games, right click on Software and click on "New" and then "Key", rename this new key to EA Games.

Then after that we create Battlefield Vietnam by right clicking on EA Games then click on New and Key again. Rename this new key Battlefield Vietnam.

Now that this is done, right click on Battlefield Vietnam and click on New again, this time click on String Value. Create this and rename it "Default". Then right click on it and click on "Modify". In the pop up that comes up, in the "Value Data" field you must type in your CD key with the spaces.

So for example it will be typed in like this: XXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXX

Click on okay, and now go back to the game directory and try launch the game. My game files are patched to the server version and include the no-cd crack which is possibly causing the hassle, windows rolled out updates that break the secure ROM on most old game discs causing them to fail at install.

Open registry editor again and please follow these steps, we will try the easy(ish) way first:

Navigate to this directory:

Computer\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
SOFTWARE\
EA Games\
Battlefield Vietnam

If this above directory does not exist from EA Games to Battlefield Vietnam, which it shouldn't, then create it. If you have other EA Games installed, skip creating that folder and head straight to creating the Battlefield Vietnam folder. So a step by step would be:

If there is no EA Games, right click on Software and click on "New" and then "Key", rename this new key to EA Games.

Then after that we create Battlefield Vietnam by right clicking on EA Games then click on New and Key again. Rename this new key Battlefield Vietnam.

Now that this is done, right click on Battlefield Vietnam and click on New again, this time click on String Value. Create this and rename it "Default". Then right click on it and click on "Modify". In the pop up that comes up, in the "Value Data" field you must type in your CD key with the spaces.

So for example it will be typed in like this: XXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXX

Click on okay, and now go back to the game directory and try launch the game. My game files are patched to the server version and include the no-cd crack which is possibly causing the hassle, windows rolled out updates that break the secure ROM on most old game discs causing them to fail at install.
First thank you for checking in but um... that's cool and all (I did it) but the WWII expansion still fails to install, do I need to manually link the mod to the registry or something? Or are we gonna have to do it the "hard way"....

IceSkater

HelloClan Leader
First thank you for checking in but um... that's cool and all (I did it) but the WWII expansion still fails to install, do I need to manually link the mod to the registry or something? Or are we gonna have to do it the "hard way"....
Erm...

Actually I assumed your key wasn't being entered properly...unfortunately sir I can't suggest any other fix to get the WW2 mod working...

Other than if you were to purchase an original set of disks...

Well damn, Are you sure I had to add the registry in EA Games folder and not in Electronic Arts?
Now that I look in the Electronic Arts folder, there's another EA Games folder inside there WITH a Battlefield Vietnam folder, and then a folder called "ergc" in it with the key I have but without the "-"'s in between, this is the stuff you mentioned I should have if I have 32 bit Windows, sure I can't do anything with that?

IceSkater

HelloClan Leader
Hmm...

You can try and edit that key to look right and see if it helps. Rather weird though that it did it differently with your pc...

Try add the dashes in and save. See if that helps.

Nah that doesn't work, I found another download called WWII Mod Extended, having both the 3 maps from the original expansion and all other BF1942 maps apparently, but when I try the lauch a map from there the game just shuts down.