• Join us on Discord! To get all the info you may need click here!

Future Event Server, GreenArmyMen

Rambo_FD

Battlefield Vietnam Admin
Hey all

Our recently introduced Green Army Men Mod for RS2 has gone quite popular. But there were never plans of running it past the end of the Christmas Event.

So now we would like to hear your opinion about:
- Should we keep running the Green Army Men modification on our server?
- Should we get an Event Server and use it to run different Modifications, whilst keeping our original server running on vanilla Rising Storm 2: Vietnam?

IceSkater created a Poll : https://www.helloclan.eu/rs2v/poll

It would be very helpful if you can add your vote there!
Depending on your decisions we might be able to have more Events and/or run more popular mods (like GOM, Talvisota Winter War, etc) while keeping our beloved vanilla RS2!

Regards Rambo / HelloClan

Last edited:

SellOut

Hi Rambo,

I voted No to keep running Green Army Men on our main server and Yes to an event server.

Assuming that:
- The main server will eventually go back to Campaign and Green Army Men cannot run as a Campaign map
- You can run Green Army Men Maps as custom maps on a server that is not set to Campaign Mode

One option instead of running a second "Event" server could be to run that second server with Campaign Mode disabled, the default 2 rounds per map, and with map voting enabled. When you mentioned Event, I took it as a server that we may announce special maps for specific event periods of time.

This option would help us better understand a Campaign Server is more popular than non-Campaign voting server for long term user populations.

Rambo_FD

Hey SellOut

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

You're right, the GMM can not run in campaign mode but can be set up like any other custom map when using map rotation. (It would however a bit stand out of context)

In fact if there is no event we could indeed run the second server in rotation mode with map voting enabled. The idea was that we could have a standard server
and a server where there could be a variety of events based on special maps/mods. In between it could still run vanilla.

Do you see any advantage in using 2 rounds per map? Because if enabled the game switches you to the other side after the first round. Some player want to stay on their side and/or have a favourite faction. Second it takes too long to go through the map list. If one doesn't like a map he has to wait two full rounds instead of one. What makes him leave.
I myself found the 2 round per map is rather painful. 1 round per map gives the game a bit more dynamic. Even if it's not campaign you can somehow imagine going through all important Vietnam battles and be part of one side. Even more if we use our historical map rotation list like we had in the past...

Last edited:

SellOut

Do you see any advantage in using 2 rounds per map? Because if enabled the game switches you to the other side after the first round. Some player want to stay on their side and/or have a favourite faction. Second it takes too long to go through the map list. If one doesn't like a map he has to wait two full rounds instead of one. What makes him leave.
I myself found the 2 round per map is rather painful. 1 round per map gives the game a bit more dynamic. Even if it's not campaign you can somehow imagine going through all important Vietnam battles and be part of one side. Even more if we use our historical map rotation list like we had in the past...
From what I've seen with other Non-Campaign Servers:
- They are usually set on 2 rounds / map.
- Voting is enabled, so they don't really go through the map rotation once they get loaded

I like both of these options. The 2nd round is nice because it lets you switch from attack to defending (or vice versa). People who prefer a faction will usually switch factions when the round turns over. From what I have seen, servers vacate more because a map was voted in that people don't like than because the factions swapped with a 2nd round.

The other good thing about a 2nd round is if a server is on a map you like, you can look at the scores and try to guess if it is in round 1 or 2 - and it may influence someone to join because they think another round is left.

I think voting helps to keep servers populated. The negative is that not all maps are played. The positive is that only maps favored by many are played.

There seems to be 3 or 4 non-campaign and voting servers that are regularly populated right now - so there may be some room for another one (ours!).

I think the most interesting thing about having 2 servers is it will allow you to try some different things to see if any combination works better than others for keeping a server full.